$25K penalty for serious electric shock incident


Friday, 15 October, 2021

$25K penalty for serious electric shock incident

A combined penalty of $25,000 has been issued to a director and two NSW-based companies over a serious electrical shock incident in NT.

The companies were involved in operating the now closed Alice in the Territory Resort, when the incident occurred in 2019.

In February 2019, a 43-year-old worker received a serious electrical shock after accessing the resort’s mechanical services switchboard after seeing lights on the property not working. It was a regular practice by workers to access the switchboard to reset circuit breakers and gas isolators.

The switchboard, which was over 30 years old, had exposed live parts and was extremely hazardous. Despite this, the workers were not trained nor had they been provided with information on how to safely reset the switchboard.

Springs OpCo Pty Ltd which operated the Alice in the Territory Resort, pleaded guilty to one charge under Section 32 of the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act 2011 (the Act), for failing to ensure the health and safety of their worker (as per Section 19(1)(a)). Springs OpCo Pty Ltd was fined $15,000.

Megan Nott, company director of Springs OpCo Pty Ltd pleaded guilty to one charge under Section 32 of the Act for failing to exercise due diligence (as per Section 27) in ensuring Springs OpCo Pty Ltd complied with its health and safety duties. Nott was fined $5000.

N T Estate Pty Ltd as the owner of the property, pleaded guilty to one charge under Section 32 of the Act for failing to ensure the mechanical services switchboard was without risks to the health and safety of any person (as per Section 27(2)). N T Estate Pty Ltd was also fined $5000.

The Northern Territory’s Work Health Authority and Electrical Safety Regulator, Bill Esteves, stated that old electrical infrastructure, featuring exposed live parts that are unmarked and unidentifiable to an untrained person, is extremely dangerous.

NT WorkSafe urge businesses operating in older buildings to engage a licensed electrician to conduct a risk assessment and prepare an electrical safety report on their aged infrastructure, and implement an appropriate, replacement, maintenance and testing schedule,” he said.

“Any live parts should be identified and guarded to prevent accidental contact, and any other faults found should be repaired by the licensed electrician.

“Inspections and testing must be carried out by a competent person, which done regularly, can save lives. It helps to identify damage, wear, faults and corrosion, and regular inspection and testing will detect electrical faults and deterioration you can’t see.

“Workplaces operating in conditions that expose equipment to moisture, heat, vibration, mechanical damage, corrosive chemicals and dust should be even more diligent because those conditions are likely to damage or reduce the lifespan of equipment and infrastructure.

“Electrical infrastructure, regardless of age, should be secured, either in a locked cabinet or room to prevent unauthorised access and fitted with a residual current device (RCD), if it doesn’t already have one. Similarly, damaged or frayed electrical equipment should not be used, and repaired or replaced immediately.

“Between 2017–2021 NT WorkSafe has received 283 reports of people, including electrical workers, other workers and members of the public receiving electric shocks.

“While the majority of these electric shocks were not serious, they had the potential to be fatal and we encourage all Territorians to make electrical safety a priority,” Esteves said.

Megan Nott was also required to pay an additional victim’s levy of $150, and both companies an additional victim’s levy of $1000 each. NT WorkSafe was also awarded costs totalling $9000.

Image credit: ©stock.adobe.com/au/icemanphotos

Related News

Electrician, company fined $32K for safety breach

An electrician left a switchboard with no multiple earthed neutral, and failed to carry out...

Recall reminder for unsafe Infinity cable

WorkSafe Queensland is reminding electrical contractors about the recall issued on the Infinity...

Three apprentices receive electric shocks

Three electrical apprentices received electric shocks during August 2021, according to WorkSafe...


  • All content Copyright © 2021 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd