Hotline to reconnect power to flood-affected home owners

Thursday, 31 January, 2013

Master Electricians Australia has activated a free hotline to help flood- and storm-affected home owners reconnect their power supplies as quickly as possible once waters have receded.

CEO Malcolm Richards said if a home has lost power due to flooding, the electricity distributor (Energex or Ergon) would likely require a safety check by a licensed electrical contractor before they will reconnect the supply.

Similarly if the line to the home had been brought down by winds or falling trees, the distributor would not be able to perform any repair work needed at the house.

“Home owners will need an electrical contractor to repair the fittings at the home before that wire can be reconnected,” Richards said.

“In order to help home owners find a contractor as quickly as possible, we have opened an emergency hotline after consultations with Energex.

“This is a system that was highly effective in Brisbane in 2011, helping minimise stress for home owners and maximise the efficiency of Energex crews.

“The hotline staff can allocate work to the nearest available contractor, ensuring homes are reconnected as quickly as possible.

“The service fee will be negotiated between the home owner and the contractor, but in most cases it should be able to be included in any insurance claim.”

The Master Electricians Australia hotline number is 1300 889 198.

Related News

$40K fine for fall prevention failure

A Victorian electrical company received a steep fine after it failed to provide fall protection...

$23K penalty for false declaration of apprentice experience

A Perth business was ordered to pay more than $23,000 in fines and costs following prosecution by...

"Small, practical actions" needed to retain apprentices

A new report has captured the experiences of more than 12,000 current and former apprentices and...


  • All content Copyright © 2026 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd