Worker killed by high-voltage circuit breaker


Thursday, 15 November, 2018


Worker killed by high-voltage circuit breaker

A man in his mid-50s has died in hospital after a high-voltage circuit breaker is believed to have exploded at the Yallourn Power Station in Victoria.

The incident occurred at about 3.50 pm on Monday, when the man suffered serious burns and was airlifted to hospital. WorkSafe is investigating the incident, which brings the number of workplace fatalities to 22 this year.

This follows a recent warning from WorkSafe Victoria to remain safe during the festive season, which it says is traditionally a dangerous time of year due to busy workloads and tight deadlines.

Between 2008 and 2017 in Victoria, 53 people died in November and December as a result of workplace incidents. This two-month period accounts for 22.3% of all workplace deaths.

“Workplace health and safety is the responsibility of everyone, and as holidays approach it is essential employers and workers take the time to slow down and not rush to get things done,” said WorkSafe Executive Director of Health and Safety Julie Nielsen.

“There is no situation where getting a job finished is more important than coming home safely at the end of the day.”

Incidents span across different industries, and workers and employers are urged to remain vigilant. Safety should not be compromised in any situation, and Nielsen said: “We want everyone to have a happy Christmas, and not be mourning the loss of a loved one, or dealing with a workplace injury.”

Image credit: ©stock.adobe.com/au/Fantasista

Related News

simPRO launches VoIP phone

simPRO's VoIP phone allows trade service businesses to forego their landlines and save time,...

Four concerns about safe construction wiring

Regular audits of construction projects by WorkSafe Queensland have revealed four key areas for...

Home owners warned not to use unlicensed electricians

NT WorkSafe has highlighted the importance of home owners using licensed electricians, as failing...


  • All content Copyright © 2018 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd