Rooftop solar — installations up 56%, employs a third of electricity workforce
Rooftop solar installations have increased 56% over the last year, according to the data released by Green Energy Markets. The number of systems installed increased 32% over the same period last year.
There were 108 megawatts of rooftop solar installed in April with each month so far in 2018 exceeding 100 megawatts of installs.
Employment is also booming, with the design, installation and sale of rooftop solar contributing just under 5500 full-time jobs, more than a third of Australia’s total electricity generation workforce.
Projections based on the current rate of rooftop solar uptake suggest up to 1500 megawatts in total will be installed by year’s end, smashing last year’s record for total installs, which was 1072 megawatts.
These statistics come from April’s Renewable Energy Index, released by Green Energy Markets.
GetUp Campaign Director Miriam Lyons said Australians were embracing rooftop solar because they know it’s the cleanest and cheapest way to keep their fridge cold and house warm.
“This boom in rooftop solar is creating meaningful work for thousands of people and helping households take control of their power bills.”
Renewable Energy Index — key stats
• In April, renewables made up 19.8% of the electricity generated in Australia’s main grids. There was enough renewable energy generated over April to power 8.4 million homes.
• There were 15,896 small-scale solar systems installed in April.
• The amount installed in the past four months will generate more electricity than what is consumed by households in major regional cities like Darwin, Geelong, Newcastle, Toowoomba or Bunbury.
• Rooftop solar installed in April will deliver $191 million in power bill savings.
• Rooftop solar employed 5261 people in April, a third of the power generation workforce.
ARENA will help fund Australia's first Business Renewables Centre, designed to encourage...
Under the engineering, procurement and construction contract, Decmil will also undertake the...
Sungrow Power has announced it is shipping nine new products from its utility- and large-scale...